The Kindness of Strangers

An elderly man knocked on my door today.  He was riding his bike past my house and saw our magnolia tree in bloom.

He asked if I would mind if he took a branch with some blooming blossoms as he would like to paint them.  They reminded him of his childhood home.  I said "Of course - please help yourself".  He took a branch and went on his way.  I smiled, closed the door and thought not much more about it and went back to work.

Three hours later, the same gentleman knocked again.  He had showered, changed his clothes and had walked back.  He had some tears in his eyes as he showed me an old black and white photograph of his family home in Austria.  It was absolutely beautiful. He told me a few stories about his home and how much his mother had loved the magnolia trees.  He hadn't been back home in over 50 years

Then he handed me a beautiful hand carved door knocker that he had made a long time ago with his father.  He just gave it to me with a smile and said "Thank-you" and went on his way.

I am so touched.  This chance encounter warmed my heart.  I am so thankful that I opened the door.

I was in the midst of writing a presentation on leadership and I thought - for all of us how important it is to open the door, to listen and to give without expectation.  We have no idea the impact of what we do.

Small acts of kindness are what make the world go round.

No comments:

Post a Comment